Building and Development Permits

Building & Development Permits

When do I need a development permit & what do I need to know?

A Development Permit is required for any and all work that affects the "footprint” that a building or fixed structure (including, but not limited to, a home, bin, garage, etc.) has on your property. The purpose of a Development permit is to ensure that all buildings/structures are within the setback requirements. You will be required to sketch a simple site map that reflects your building or construction plans. The sketch must also include all existing fixed structures on the property and the distances between them in relation to waterways/water systems, roadways, and property lines. The fee for a Development Permit is $20.00.

When do I need a building permit and what do I need to know?

A building permit is required when any new structure or structural changes are being made to an existing building such as a home, garage, deck, etc. Aesthetic projects such as painting and drywall do not require a permit. For example: replacing a window with a new one of the same dimension does not require a permit. However, replacing a window with a larger sized window does require a permit as the opening size and structural wall need to be altered.

Certified Engineer Drawings are Required for the following:

  • Building where a wall is longer than 40’.
  • Structures that have been placed on either an ICF block walls or PWF Foundation
  • Additions where the foundation type is different than that of the original structure.
  • Any other construction deemed necessary by the Building Inspector.

Plumbing Permits are required when installing any new plumbing fixture where no fixture has previously existed.

Building Permit and Plumbing Permit fees vary and can not be determined until the project information is received.



Building and Development permits can be applied for at the same time. Once all required information is collected and permits have been paid for, they will be reviewed by CAO Eileen Peters. If all information is found sufficient upon review, permits are forwarded to Building Inspector, Mark Hiller. Mark will review the permits, and be in contact with the applicant. Mark will issue the permit placard. Once Mark has contacted the applicant, all questions relating to the building process should be addressed to Mark. Prior to the Inspector’s approval, please address all related questions to the Municipal Office. 

To Get started CLICK HERE  and you will find a folder called "Documents & Forms". Open the folder and you will see the "Rural & Urban Site Plans" document. Print either the rural or the urban page depending on where you live. Then print the "Development and Building Permit" application. Fill out all the pertinent information and forward it onto the Municipal Office.


Building Inspector

David Bueckert

Phone: 204.857.1896